Abu Road is a town in Sirohi district of Rajasthan state in western India. It lies southeast of Mount Abu and its train station is a stop on the main Indian Railways line between Delhi and Ahmedabad. Mount Abu is 27km up the hill from Abu Road.
The old name of Abu Road town is Kharadi. Rajputana Malwa Railway set up the railway station here an on December 30, 1880 and the station was named Abu Road. The road to Mount Abu was built in 1845, during the rule of Maharao Shivsingh of Sirohi.
As of the 2001 India census, Abu Road had a population of 47,320. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Abu Road has an average literacy rate of 68%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. 60% of the males and 40% of females are literate. 15% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Bridge on West Banas River
nearby Garasia villages- their life and culture
Pawa puri-Jain temple complex this place is 57 km from Abu Road Station.
Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual Organization
mahadav mandir & shri ram mandir in kivarali (raj purohit samaj ) kailash raj purohit kivarali
RIICO Industrial area is spread over an expanse of 2000 acres. Main industries:Marble & Granite, Mini Cement Plants, HDPE Bags, Synthetic Yarn, Mineral Grinding, ABS Resin and Insulators.
The following banks have their branches in Abu Road :
Punjab National Bank
State Bank of India
Bank of Rajasthan Ltd
State Bank of Saurashtra
State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur
Central Bank of India
Madhav Nagrik Bank
Sirohi Central Co-operative Bank
Bank of Baroda
Major Companies in Abu Road
L&T Interstate Road Corridor Ltd. (the group of Larsen & Toubro Limited)
Larsen & Toubro Ltd (ECC Division)
ghel india limited
Indian Oil Corporation LTD ( Pump Station )
One Govt. Hospital
One ESI Hospital
Six Private Nursing Homes
SMCC Chaudhary, Govt. College
Shri Tejendra Prasad Teachers Training College
St Pauls Sr. Secondary School
Three other Sr. Secondary Schools
Three Public Schools,
H.G International school
Today's power status is 132 GSS, connected to Sirohi and Reodar, having capacity of 37.5 MVA and 4 plants of 33 KV GSS. Present load of Abu Road is 12 MVA.
The railway diesel shed located here provides employment to a large number of people and holds an important place in town's economy. The Diesel Shed Abu Road was commissioned by Indian Railway an MG Shed on 26 October 1966. It was then the biggest MG Shed of Western Railway with a holding of 112 locos. With BG conversion under Unigauge the shed was converted to a BG shed with a holding of 60 locomotives. There are 68 Supervisors and 570 workers in the shed.
A Diesel Training Centre is located with the shed that conducts promotional, refresher and special courses for loco running staff as well as formal training of shed maintenance staff.