City : Bellary
Location : Southern India
Language : Kannada
Know About Bellary
Bellary in Kannada is a city in Bellary District in Karnataka state, India.
Bellary is the headquarters of the district of the same name in the state of Karnataka. It is an industrial town, having 7 taluks. Bellary stands amidst a wide, level plain of black cotton soil.
Located on the eastern side of the state, Bellary is bounded by Raichur district on the north, by Dharwad district on the west, Chitradurga and Davangere districts on the south and Anantapur, Kurnool districts of Andhra Pradesh on east.
The name Bellary originates from the word Balari which refers to Goddess Durugamma, who had manifested herself in the town. Certain events in the great epic Ramayana are related to this historical place. It is said that Lord Rama, while searching for Sita, met Sugreeva and Hanuman at a place that is in close proximity to Hampi, the erstwhile capital of Vijayanagara kingdom. Historically, it played a significant role during Satavahanas, Kadambas, Chalukyas of Kalyana, Kalachuryas, Sevunas and Hoysalas period. Later the Vijayanagara rulers built the City of Victory on the banks of Tungabhadra River at Hampi in Hospet Taluk. Bellary was transferred to former Mysore state on 1st October 1953 from Madras state.
Bellary is located at [show location on an interactive map] 15.15° N 76.93° E. It has an average elevation of 445 metres (1459 ft).
At this World Heritage Site, you can witness the Virupaksha temple, the Stone Chariot, Ugra Narasimha, King's Balance and Lotus Mahal, Elephants stables.
Renowned for the temple consecrated to Lord Shiva in his form of Mallara or Mallari, it is famed for the annual festival of Mallara.
Ramanadurga or Ramgad
At this hill-station set amidst a group of granite hills, there is a temple dedicated to Ramadeva.
Tunga Bhadra Dam
This huge dam, situated neat Hospet, is built on river Tunga and Bhadra, and has a beautiful garden.
Positioned 10 km north-west of Kottur, Ambali is popular for the black stone Chalukyan temple dedicated to Kalleswari.
Fairs And Festivals
The ruined city of Hampi, located near Bellary, comes alive during this festival of dance and music called Hampi or Vijaya Utsav, held in the first week of November.
Annual festival of Mallara
This famous festival is celebrated in a temple consecrated to Lord Shiva in his form of Mallara or Mallari.
The city stands in the midst of a wide, level plain of black cotton soil.
Granite rocks & hills form a prominent feature of Bellary, and granite quarrying is big business. The city is spread mainly around two huge rocky granite hills, the Ballari Gudda and Kumbara Gudda (Gudda - hill in Kannada). These two hills are dominant features of the city, and are visible from every part of the city.
Ballari Gudda has a circumference of nearly 2 miles (3.2 km) and a height of 480 feet (150 m). The length of this rock from north-east to south-west is about 1,150 ft (350 m). To the East and South lies an irregular heap of boulders, but to the West is an unbroken monolith, and the North is walled by bare rugged ridges. This hill is also said to be the world's second largest monolithic hill.
The other hill is called Kumbara Gudda. This hill, when viewed from the south-east looks like the profile of a human face and is also known as Face Hill.
Apart from these two hills, there are a number of other smaller granite hills within the city, the prominent among them being:
1. The Kaate Gudda (wikimapia) opposite the Municipal Junior College, which also houses a water tank & pumping station. This is also nicknamed Kaage Gudda , for its teeming flocks of Crows (Kannada : kaage=crow)
2. The Eeshwara Gudda , behind the Anaadi Lingeshwara Temple in Parvati Nagar-Shastri Nagar area. This has now been quarried extensively and almost flattened with all loose boulders removed, making way for residential occupation.(wikimapia)
3. The one housing a water tank, adjacent to the Bellary Central Jail (wikimapia)
4. Adjacent to St. John's High School in the Fort Area (wikimapia)
It is also very common to find small boulders and rocks at numerous places within the city.
The Bellary Fort is built on top of the Ballari Gudda or the Fort Hill. The Fort was built round the hill during Vijayanagara times by Hanumappa Nayaka. Hyder Ali, who took possession of the Fort from the Nayaka family in 1769, got the fort renovated and modified with the help of a French Engineer. The lower fort was added by Hyder Ali around the eastern half of the hill. Legend has it that the unfortunate French Engineer was hanged, for overlooking the fact that the neighbouring Kumbara Gudda is taller than Ballari Gudda, thus compromising the secrecy & command of the fort. His grave is believed to be located near the East Gate of the fort, though some locals believe it to be the grave of a Muslim holy man.
The fort was classified as 1st class by the British Administration.
The fort is divided as the Upper Fort and the Lower Fort.
The Upper fort
The Upper fort (wikimapia) is a polygonal walled building on the summit, with only one approach, and has no accommodation for a garrison. The upper fort consists of a citadel on the summit of the rock at 1,976 feet (602 m), guarded by three outer lines of fortification, one below the other. It contains several cisterns, excavated in the rock. Outside the turreted rampart are a ditch and covered way. The main turret on the east currently features a huge mural of the Indian Flag facing east (wikimapia). There is only one way up to the fort, which is a winding rocky path amongst the boulders. On the top, outside the citadel is a small temple, the remains of some cells and several deep pools of water. Within the citadel are several strongly constructed buildings, and an ample water supply from reservoirs constructed in the clefts of the rocks. Muzzaffar Khan, the Nawab of Kurnool, was confined here from 1823 to 1864 for the murder of his wife.
The Lower fort
The Lower fort lies at the eastern base of the rock and measures about half a mile in diameter, and probably had an arsenal and barracks. It consists of a surrounding rampart numerous bastions, faced by a deep ditch and glacis. The entrance to the lower fort is via two gates, one each on the western and eastern sides. Just outside the eastern gates of the lower fort is a temple dedicated to Hanuman - the Kote Anjaneya Temple . Later additions to the lower fort by the British include the Commissariat stores, the Protestant church, orphanage, Masonic lodge, post-office and numerous private dwellings. Now the lower fort contains a number of public buildings, government offices, schools & educational institutions and churches.
How To Reach
Bellary has its own airport, from where regular flights to Bangalore are available.
You can access to any place in Karnataka from the Bellary Railway Station.
Bellary is linked with the rest of the state by a vast network of well-connected roads.