City : Chapra
Location : Eastern India
Language : Hindi, Urdu, Angika, Bhojpuri, Magahi, Maithili
Know About Chapra
Chapra is a city and headquarters of Saran district in the state of Bihar, India. Chapra is situated near the junction of the Ghaghara River and The Ganges River. Chapra was the headquarter of district called Saran. Later, the district was divided into three separate districts: Chapra, Siwan, and Gopalganj.
Chapra grew in importance as a river mart in the 18th century when the Dutch, French, Portuguese, and English established saltpeter refineries there. It was constituted a municipality in 1864. The town has major rail and road connections with the rest of India.
In ancient days, Modern Chhapra, formed a part of Kosala country. The history of Chhapra is bound to be history of Kosala which included portions other than present limit of Saran Division. The kingdom of Kosala was bounded on the west by Panchala, by the river Sarpika(sai) in the south, on the east by Gandak and on the north by Nepal. The Kosala consisted of modern Faizabad, Gonda, Basti, Gorkhapur, Deoria in UP and Saran in Bihar.
The historical background of the district- as available in the 'Ain-E-Akbari records Saran as one of the six Sarkars(Revenue Divisions) constituting the province of Bihar. At the time of grant of Diwani to the East India company in 1765, there were eight Sarkars including Saran and Champaran. These two were later combined to form a single unit named Saran. Saran(along with Champaran) was included in the Patna Division when the Commissioner's Divisions were set up in 1829.
It was separated from Champaran in 1866 when it (Champaran) was constituted into a separate district. Saran was made a part of Tirhut Division when latter was created in 1908. By this time there were three subdivisions in this district namely Saran, Siwan and Gopalganj. In 1972 each subdivision of the old Saran district became an independent district. The new Saran district after separation of Siwan and Gopalganj still has its headquarters at Chapra.
Chapra is located at [show location on an interactive map] 25.773460° N 84.727470° E. It has an average elevation of 36 metres (118 feet).
The district of Saran is situated between 25°36' and 26°13' North latitude and 84°24' and 85°15' East longitude in the southern post of the newly created Saran Division of North Bihar. The Ganges constitute the Southern boundary of the district beyond which lie the districts of Bhojpur and Patna. To the north of Saran lie districts of Siwan and Gopalganj. The Gandak forms the dividing line with vaishali and Muzaffarpur district in the east. To the west of Saran lies district of Siwan and the district of Balia in Uttar Pradesh, the Ghaghra constituting a natural boundary between Saran and Ballia.
Chhapra can be reached easily by either train or road. The state capital Patna is only 70 km away. One can reach Chhapra by Bus from Patna. Alternatively, one has to first come to Hazipur from patna from where trains are available for Chhapra. The main language here is bhojpuri. Festivals like Holi, Diwali, Id and Chhath Parva, in which the Sun is worshiped, are major events here.
The place is situated about 37 km east of Chhapra and 4 km west of Dighwara. In Ami, there is an old temple known as Amba asthan. Near the temple there is a garden and a deep and broad well in which water remains all over the year and it never dries up. The believer from far off come to pay oblation in the established in her memory over this Yagya Kunda. The believers from far off come to pay oblation in the Navratra of April and October. Water offered here by lacs of People vanishes in the Kunda.
Chhapra is also the place where according to mythology when lord Shiva carried the dead body of "Sati" from the holy yagnakund of Daksh Prajapati, the trunk of Sati's body fell in "Ami" and the holy Shaktipeeth 'Ambika Sthan' was established. This place is famous among Hindus and popularly known as Ami. Shivpuran has the details about the same. This pyre is believed to be still present within the compound of "Ambika Sthan temple" in "Ami" situated on National highway number 19 around 50 kilometers away from Bihar’s Capital town Patna and about 28 kilometers from Chhapra town.
Devotees believe that their wishes get fulfilled as they worship in this temple. Around the year, specially during Dussehera, devotees from different places throng to this place. This place is well connected by rail (the nearest station, Dighwara, is 3 kilometres away) and by road from Patna. Also around three kilometer from Ambika Sthan there is a small town, "Dighwara", which might had earlier known as as "Dirgh-dwara" (main gate)is said to be the maingate of King Daksh's yagna area, the father in law of Lord Shiva.
Internationally famous for the large fair held on the occasion of Kartik Purnima, it is also the head quarters of Sonepur Anchal. Sonepur is a Nagar Panchayat and is noted for its Railways platform which is one of the largest in India. So far as religious aspect of Sonepur Mela is concerned, special significance is owing to the temple of shree Hariharnath and the site of the battle of Gaj-Grah and rescue of the former by Hari During Kartik Purnima Ganga Snan or ceremonial bathing in the Ganga is held by Hindus to be unusually efficacious. On the day of full moon (Kartik Purnima) immense crowd assembles and take bath. The Mela commences on that day and lasts for more than a fortnight. The Shiva temple, Kali temple and other temples and historical religious monuments are situated here and social and economical activities are at the highest peak during the Mela period. People come here to pay their oblation to the lords and thus its importance is not within Sonepur of Bihar rather it is of India and world fame.
This place is situated towards north of Parsagarh where many exhibits of archaeological importance can be seen. On the bank of river Gandaki and ancient temple of Bhagwan Dhadheswar nath is situated in which a gigantic Shiv Ling of stone is there.
In the epic Ramayana, there is a mention of Gautam Rishi who had cursed his wife who turned into stone. Later Lord Rama had released Ahilya from her stone statue and as per religious belief, the purification of Ahilya was meted out here. The Ashram of Gautam Rishi is situated 5 km west of Chapra. Ramayana describes it as Ahilya-Uddhaar.
This is an important place as per the child Episode of Shiv Puran and Ram charitra Manas. The mohbhan of Narad depicts the place to be here. This ancient place is 28 km away from Marhowra. On every Shivratary mela is organized here during which the devotes of Baba Shilanath come to pay their obeisances.
Chirand is situated 11 km south east of the district headquarter near Doriganj Bazar at the north bank of river Ghaghra. The result of the excavation there reveals about four thousand years old developed culture of Pashan age. Inhabitants of Chirand were engaged in Animal Husbandry, agriculture and hunting. In whole of India new Pashan age culture was firstly revealed here. Chirand had become an important urban place.
Mahadani King Mayurdvajh's palace's archeological remains are still found here, just on the bank of Ganga-Saryu sangam at Chirand area. Chapra also has maharshi Dadhichi's ashram. Dadhichi was a great tapasawi, he has donated his bones to make Lord Indra's vajra to help them in fighting with asurs.
Bareja is a village in Chhapra district and is situated in the middle of Chhapra and Siwan. The place is 9 km away from UP Border. It was a big melting pot of politics during independence movement. The Bareja High School was founded way back in 1940s and was the only high school in the area for years. Pandit Girish Tiwari, a well-known freedom fighter from the village rose to be the first education minister of Bihar. Bareja also had some very affluent Jamindars who owned property running in millions during British area.
The main commercial site is the municipal chowk. Hathwa market is famous for selling cloth. On August 11, 2006, Union Railways Minister Lalu Yadav announced setting up of locomotive manufacturing unit in the district.