City : Chhatarpur
Location : Central India
Language : Hindi, Bundeli
Know About Abohar
This princely city is situated at the state of Madhya Pradesh in India. The city was founded by Bundela Rajput, the city named after the Raja Chhatrasal of Bundela dynasty.
This is one of the important tourist destinations of Madhya Pradesh. The biggest attraction of the Chhatarpur is Khajuraho temples, which is situated in Chhatarpur district.
The city was founded by Bundelas Rajput, and city named after Raja Chhatrasal, the founder of Bundelkhand.
Later rulers of Ponwar clan and British captured the city and ruled on it. After independence of India it became the part of Vindhya Pradesh. In 1st November 1956, Vindhya Pradesh merged into Madhya Pradesh.
Chhatarpur is located at [show location on an interactive map] 24.9° N 79.6° E. It has an average elevation of 305 metres (1000 feet). It is located on the far north-east border of Madhya Pradesh.Sharing its borders with Bhandha distt of U.P. It is 125km from Jhansi(Uttar Pradesh) and 180km from Gwalior(M.P.).
Chhatarpur can be reached by road only. The nearest railway stations are at Harpalpur (55 km) Jhansi(119 km) and Satna, and the nearest airport is at Khajuraho, which has daily flights from Delhi. Railway station is almost ready at Khajuraho and will become in operation within few months. Railway department has been announced a train (KHAJURAHO-DELHI EXP.) in rail budget 2008-09.
Most of the colleges in Chhatarpur district are affiliated to University of Sagar, which is also known as Dr.Harisingh Gaur University Sagar. They do offer graduation and post graduation courses in Arts, Science and commerce group. Govt. Maharaja College, Panna road also offers doctorate (PhD) programs in Arts and Science groups.
Chhatarpur made its presence felt on national education scene when Ratnesh Pandey became the first person from the city to join Indian Institute of Management.
One of the world heritage sites in India, Khujuraho is the most visited tourist place, is just few km away from the Chhatarpur. Khajuraho has its own history. The city was once the capital of Chandela Rajputs, a Hindu dynasty that ruled here during 10th to 12th centuries.
It is to believe that these temples were built during 950 to 1050. There were originally 80 temples were built, but only 22 could survive. These 22 marvelous temples, who has an erotic sculptures is welcoming tourists. Some of them important temples are:
This temple is the largest and most ornate temple in Khajuraho premises. Kandariya Mahadeo was built around 1050, by the Vidhyadhara, one of the greatest Kings from Chandela dynasty. According to the Hindu beliefs temple were built dating on 1000 BC. This temple is a masterpiece of Hindu architecture.
This temple is dedicated to Maa Kali. This is only granite temple, which is still surviving from the centuries (900AD to till Date). Out of original 65 shrines only 35 shrines are available now.
Vishwanath Temple, Vishwanath Temple, Chaturbhuj Temple, Ghantai Temple, Duladeo Temple, Parsvanath Temple, and Adinath temple are some other important temples of Khajuraho.
This museum is located at the old fort on the Jhansi-Khajuraho road in Chhatarpur district. Museum displays the sculptures of the Shakti cult, garments, jewelries, weapons, and paintings of the Bundela Kings.
It is a holy place near the Chhatarpur city.
A holy water tank very near to the Chhatarpur.
A water fall near Khajuraho, with a natural beauty.