City : Dhar
Location : Central India
Language : Hindi
Know About Dhar
Dhar or the medieval historical town of Dhara Nagari is located in the Malwa region of western Madhya Pradesh state in central India.It is the administrative headquarters of Dhar District. The town is located 33 miles west of Mhow, 908 ft. above sea level. It is picturesquely situated among lakes and trees surrounded by barren hills, and possesses, besides its old walls, many interesting buildings, both Hindu and Muslim, some of them containing records of a great historical importance.
The town, the name of which is usually derived from Dhara Nagari (the city of sword blades), is of great antiquity, and was made the capital of the Paramara chiefs of Malwa by Vairisimha II, who transferred his headquarters hither from Ujjain at the close of the 9th century. During the rule of the Paramara dynasty, Dhar was famous throughout India as a centre of culture and learning, especially under king Bhoj (1010-1060).
After suffering various vicissitudes, it was finally conquered by Ala ud din Khilji, Sultan of Delhi, in the 14th century. Dilawar Khan, who had been appointed governor in 1319, practically established his independence soon afterwards. The Lat Masjid is a monument built by him. While Dilawar Khan established his independence de facto, his son Hoshang Shah became the first de jure Muslim ruler of Malwa, with his capital at Mandu. Subsequently, in the time of Akbar, Dhar fell under the dominion of the Mughals, in whose hands it remained till 1730, when it was conquered by the Marathas.
Dhar is located at 22.6° N 75.3° E. It has an average elevation of 559 metres (1833 feet).
The BHOJ SHALA, built in 10th century by great king Raja Bhoj, is a Sanskrit University and Temple of Goddess Saraswati. This beautiful historic statue is in London museum. The Lat Masjid, or Pillar Mosque, was built by Dilawar Khan in 1405 out of the remains of Jain temples.
It derives its name from an iron pillar, supposed to have been originally set up at the beginning of the 13th century in commemoration of a victory, and bearing a later inscription recording the seven days visit to the town of the emperor Akbar in 1598. The pillar, which was 43 ft. high, is now overthrown and broken. The Kamal Maula is an enclosure containing four tombs, the most notable being that of Shaikh Kamal Maulvi (Kamal-ud-din), a follower of the famous 13th-century Muslim saint Nizamuddin Auliya.
The mosque known as Raja Bhoj's school was built out of Hindu remains in the 14th or 15th century: its name is derived from the slabs, covered with inscriptions giving rules of Sanskrit grammar, with which it is paved. On a small hill to the north of the town stands the fort, a conspicuous pile of red sandstone, said to have been built by Sultan Mohammed bin Tughluk of Delhi in the 14th century. It contained the palace of the raja. Of modern institutions may be mentioned the high school, public library, hospital, and the chapel, school and hospital of the Canadian Presbyterian mission. There was also a government opium depot for the payment of duty, the town having been a considerable centre for the trade in opium as well as in grain.