City : Diu
Location : South coast of Gujarat
Language : Gujarati, English, Hindi, and Portuguese.
Know About Diu
Diu is a city in Diu district in the state of Daman and Diu, India. It is famous for being the location of the pivotal Battle of Diu in 1509 between Portugal and a combined force of Turkey, Egypt, Venice, Dubrovnik and the then Sultan of Gujarat, Mahmud Begada.
It is an island lying off the south coast of Gujarat's Kathiawar peninsula, separated from the mainland by a tidal creek. It has an area of 40 km², and a population of 44,110 (2001 census). The town of Diu lies at the eastern end of the island, and is famous for its fortress and old Portuguese Cathedral. It is also a fishing town. The village of Ghoghla, which lies on the mainland opposite the eastern end of the island, is also part of the union territory. Note that in Google Maps you can find Diu with the name of Dangarvadi.
In 1535 Bahadur Shah, the Sultan of Gujarat, concluded a defensive alliance with the Portuguese against the Mughal emperor Humayun, and allowed the Portuguese to construct a fortress and maintain a garrison on the island. The alliance quickly unravelled, and attempts by the Sultans to oust the Portuguese from Diu between 1537 and 1546 failed. The fortress, reconstructed by Dom João de Castro after the siege of 1545, still stands. The island was occupied by the Indian military on 19 December 1961.
Diu is located at 20.7° N 70.98° E. It is at sea level.
Tourist destinations include the nearby Nagoa beach. The old fort, the church and the museum have a strong Portuguese feel. Jet Airways services the island, landing at Diu Airport. Visit Diu Tourism's Official Website 
Cool and dry.
September to May.
cottons in summer, light woollens in winter
Local transport is available from Una (Gujarat).